Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Running For Ex-Pats



Both times I've lived abroad (in Hong Kong and in Kadogawa), I've become incredibly overwhelmed and sort of had a period of self-imposed isolation. It's hard to say why this happens. There's something about moving abroad and overhauling my life that makes me sort of lose it.

I get moody. I listen to podcasts all day because I like the sound of someone's voice in my ear. I cook a lot. I do things alone and think a lot and write excessively emotional prose in my journals.

And I run. I run a lot. There's something healing about exercise I think, something nice about getting up early and having a reason to go outside, to look out at the world instead of just peering inwards at your own thoughts. I think it's good for me, but also sometimes I feel as if my running is just a symptom of a larger existential crisis.

When I don't know what I'm doing, when everything feels big and I feel small, I put on tennis shoes and go out for a run.



No comments:

Post a Comment