Friday, August 1, 2014

Pack Attack: How I Fit My Life Into My Suitcase

Hey folks! I’m currently blogging from the San Francisco International Airport because today’s the day for the SF JET Pre-Departure Orientation. I’m so excited (and gut wrenchingly nervous) to be here! It’s going to be a fun and informative day, and tomorrow we officially fly to Tokyo for the next stage of orientation. I can’t believe it’s actually happening! 

But believe me, last night I was not in the same great mood that I am now. It took a lot of stressing and freaking out and furious pacing to get here. My brain was rapid firing questions so quickly that I could barely do anything at all!

Do I have all the documents I’m supposed to have?

Am I supposed to have more money than I actually do?

Does Japan have ATMs?

Should I be listening to more J-Pop?

What if I don’t know enough Japanese to even go outside without looking like an idiot?

These are all obviously important (especially the J-Pop question), but the BIGGEST stress factor for the move has been packing! I’m essentially moving to Japan indefinitely, so I have to find some way to fit my entire existence into a suitcase. 

If that wasn’t hard enough, Japan has a much more conservative culture than California, so I can’t even include the myriad of short shorts and fitted dresses that have become a staple in my wardrobe. I had to rethink all my clothes and buy business casual clothes that fancy magical real adults wear, instead of the California college appropriate whatnots I had currently. 

In short, packing is tough stuff.

After going through my clothes and figuring out what’s even wearable, and a few trips to Target and Macy’s for business basics, I finally feel as though I have a wardrobe that’s functional and appropriate for my new home in Kadogawa. My items are versatile and simple so I can mix and match looks, and I don’t feel like I’m totally outside my comfort zone. All in all, it feels like a good mix! But I won’t know how successful I am until I actually arrive.

I made a handy list of questions I asked myself in my packing frenzy for the last night in my hometown. If you’re ever trying to figure out what to pack for your international travel situation, check these out! I thought it was pretty helpful!
  • What’s the dress code? What’s appropriate in your home country may not be the same in your host country. For instance, Japan's work attire keeps it modest. It’s important to cover your shoulders, the top of your chest, and shorts and skirts should reach your knees. This is really unlike California’s dress code, so I had to adjust. So long short shorts!
  • What size suitcase should you bring? You may be tempted to bring everything you own in two extra large suitcases, and if that works for you, great! But it’s often easier to travel light - buy versatile clothing, bring only what’s absolutely needed, and you can buy anything else you need in your new country! My formula for perfect packing is one large suitcase (to check), a backpacking pack, and a purse (for carry on). That way, when I travel in my new country, I can leave the suitcase at home and use that backpack. The purse can be used for every day wear. Another helpful hint: Roll your clothes military style! It saves tons of space and keeps things from getting wrinkled!
  • What’s the weather like? Different fabrics are better for different weather conditions. Is it hot and humid? Try and pack lots of dri-fit material, or light thin clothes that still meet the dress code for your country. Is it cold and rainy? Buy light weight rain gear and lots to layer with! Depending on your destination, you may need to rethink that super cute crop top you were planning to bring.
  • What will you be doing? As an Assistant Language Teacher, I knew I’d have to bring some business professional clothes, along with shoes I’d be comfortable standing in all day. I also wanted some active wear, as I plan to play with the kids and bike around town when I get the chance. If your schedule calls for different activities, make sure you pack accordingly. No one wants to be at a business meeting in their #partyallday tank top, or hiking in a pencil skirt!
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when you’re getting ready to move, but don’t despair! If you think through your location and activities early, you’ll pack your suitcase like a pro!

...though I did end up overpacking. My suitcase is currently seventeen pounds overweight. 

I'm sure it'll all work out somehow.



What’s your tried and true packing method? If you have any helpful tips, share your wisdom in the comments section! I’d love to hear from you!

Next time you hear from me, I’ll be in Japan! Sayoonara!



No comments:

Post a Comment