Saturday, December 6, 2014

My First Japanese Thanksgiving


Oh the holidays-- the joy, the laughter, the family togetherness. What a wonderful time to wear a sweater and surround yourself with good people who you care about!

Obviously, living abroad changes the “family” part of things a little bit. However, the American JETs weren’t going to give up our delectable holiday without a warm-hearted fight! 

So the Northern Miyazaki American JETs (plus one Canadian) were still able to have a good time, eat delicious things and enjoy warm fuzzy thankfulness feelings. Amelia, our hostess, even procured a turkey for everyone to share! It was a lovely evening and I ate until I wanted to lay down and sleep for ten thousand years.





I set out to create my first ever baked dessert in Japan and it turned out quite successful actually. I bought some simple ingredients and made apple crumble. Paired with vanilla ice cream and slightly burnt around the edges, it still turned out to be quite delicious. I was very happy with the results. It was truly caramel-y decadence.


Thanksgiving in Japan was so nice and I was able to call up my family during their annual Thanksgiving brunch by waking up at 6am! Maybe I wasn’t as coherent as I wish I could have been but it was still nice to see everyone’s beautiful faces. 

I think living abroad is good for self-awareness. When I’m living in California, I always take everything for granted. I don’t pay attention to the little things that make life so rich and full (i.e. a hug from my parents or a nice conversation over coffee with my oldest friends). 

When you are taken out of your comfort zone and relocated, the things about your hometown just stand out in a different way. The things that I really miss about Thanksgiving aren’t the foods (which are GREAT all the same) but spending time with my friends and family back home.

Okay, maybe the foods too. There are these really great celery stick things my mom always makes...

(Our Game of Thrones Thanksgiving photo ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment