Thursday, January 10, 2013

Last Minute Preparations

I leave for Hong Kong in basically two days! TWO DAYS PEOPLE! It still hasn't really sunk in that I'm moving to a foreign country but who cares? What happens happens! I figure I'll just launch myself into this situation trying to be as prepared as possible and see how it goes. What could go wrong?

Today my mom and I went around town taking care of all my last minute purchases and appointments. Specifically, I went to the doctor and the dentist to make sure I was ship-shape to go to a foreign country (no root canals for me!) and purchased a US to UK outlet adapter from Radio Shack. These go for about for about 13 dollars and it's important to note that HK uses the UK outlet, not the Chinese outlet. Another heads up, the voltage there is 220 volts, so you may need to purchase a converter instead of an adapter (which is slightly more expensive). However, I've checked all the chargers I plan on bringing and they can go between 110 and 220 volts just fine, so an adapter ended up being all I needed! Read the backs of your plugs if you're wondering about this.

I also picked up some toiletries from the supermarket. I made sure to get a few first aid essentials like band-aids, Tylenol, Nyquil and Sudafed since I had heard from a few returnees that the over the counter medicine in HK seems a bit less potent. I also bought a cute portable alarm clock from IKEA for 99 cents! Hooray for last minute purchases! I haven't started packing yet (yikes!) but I think a medium sized roller suitcase, small old-timey carrying suitcase (not sure exactly how to describe it) and a backpack should be more than enough room for the essentials. I'm going to do my very best not to overpack! I want to have space to bring home cool stuff!

As for some info about my lodging, I will be staying in the Patrick Manson off-campus student residences while I'm at HKU. Apparently it's across from the Amenities Center (complete with the gym, I think?) on 7 Sassoon Road, which is about a 10 minute bus ride and a 30 minute walk from the actual campus. This option doesn't have a meal plan or anything, which means for the first time I'll have to create my own budget for food and it'll be like I'm really living on my own in a foreign country! Cool right? I should have two or three roommates, but I don't get to meet them until I actually check into my building. Patrick Manson is supposedly non-local student housing, so I'm hoping to meet a lot of international students who are going through exactly what I'm going through. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get there! 

Okay so I have a pretty packed couple of last days that include seeing my very cool uncle, very cool boyfriend and certainly eating quite a feast with my folks, before I head off on my grand adventure, so I might not have time to post again until I'm actually in HK. I'm sure I'll have plenty to talk about!

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment