Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What I've Been Up To Since 2012...


Happy 2013 everyone! So I realize it's been awhile since I blogged on here but I figured everyone else was probably enjoying their families as much as I was enjoying mine, so I deliberately chose not to distract you with tales of silly pre-departure days. Aren't I thoughtful? Thank me later!

Anyways, here's what I've been up to. I finished my final exams at UCSC (got all As! Hooray for studying, stressing and not really sleeping!), had my last day at work and moved back home to Huntington Beach, CA for month before heading out to Hong Kong. 


My family and I took a fun weekend trip to a beach cottage in Crystal Cove before heading home for Christmas. Everyone had an excellent (and half-drunk) time.



By far, the coolest view in the whole cottage. 

My first attempt at an artsy self portrait in the rustic looking bedroom. It felt like a cuter version of summer camp.

My niece, Dylana, full on instagram-posing for the camera. 
The family looking silly for a weird (but accurate) family portrait.

My boyfriend, Tim, standing in front of some pretty Crystal Cove tide pools.
 It was fun to practice using my camera in the incredibly bright daylight on the beach, and I thought these shots turned out pretty well! 

For Christmas, we had a big family dinner and present pass around at my Grandpa Dan and Grandma Charlotte's house. 



My grandpa Dan looking particularly pirate-y as he cuts the prime rib.


My dad was incredibly excited about his new ipad and brought everyone around to see.

My parents, the original party animals.

Me and the cutest pomeranian I've ever seen, Bella.

My aunt and cousin, spreading the holiday love!

For Christmas, I received a Berlitz Cantonese phrase book and CD (score!) so I've been practicing some more phrases for my trip to Hong Kong. I don't know if other students have this problem, but UCSC does not offer Cantonese classes, so I was really excited to have something to practice with in my spare time. I also received a vibrating neck pillow for the plane, a camera case, an adorable travel journal and some cute clothes (including a t-shirt with a French Bulldog wearing a beret) for traversing through the city!


As far as preparations for my trip go, I've opened up a Charles Schwab bank account to use during my trip abroad. I learned from returnees that Charles Schwab is a really great option for people who don't want to open up a Hong Kong bank account because you can withdraw from any ATM abroad without incurring fees! It seems to make retrieving money a lot more simple and effective than it would be with Bank of America or other banks. I've also had an extra set of passport photos taken to keep with me for use during check in at my housing and for registration during classes. At HKU especially, it's good to have extra passport photos, as I've heard from returnees that several are needed for different registration purposes. And the less running around for errands I have to do while I'm actually in Hong Kong, the better.


So there's a brief update on what I've been up to lately. I'll be updating more in the coming days, but I'm leaving at 12:20am this coming Sunday morning! It's CRAZY! This is CRAZY! I'm gonna be a world traveler! I'll tell you how I'm going but for now I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be!


No comments:

Post a Comment