Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Lauren and Ray on Wisteria Lane


Fun fact about Japan: they really like flowers here. And when I say really, I mean a whole lot. Sakura (cherry blossom) season is as eagerly anticipated as summer vacation. The two week long festivities are punctuated with hanami, flower viewing parties where everyone gets together to enjoy magnificent blooms (along with some magnificent booze...).

However, Kitakyushu's fuji flowers (known to western folks as "wisteria"), are also a favorite around here. My friend Ray and I decided to take a road trip to check it out-- and what an amazing experience! The colors were sublime, the sunshine was incredible, and the fragrance! Mmm.

It was like inhaling one of those floral sachets they have at bed and breakfast, only less artificial and grandma-y. 

Ray and I met up with Chris and Bek, Kitakyushu ALTs with hearts of gold, who let us sleep in their apartment, drink their tea, and eat their pancakes before leading us to the famous wisteria tunnels. Flowers, friendship and pancakes? What more could you need! 
















The end of April/beginning of May is when you need to get to Kitakyushu in order to see these blooming beauties before they're gone. I was smitten with this place-- maybe I'll go again next year? 

Thanks to Chris, Ray and Bek for the amazing time! If you want to check out more pictures from our adventure, check out #laurenandrayonwisterialane on Instagram. Follow me @LaurenLovesNoodles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment