Monday, January 25, 2016

Lauren Loves Nap Cafe



Something I think that small town rural Japan does right is tiny cafes.

One such amazing tiny cafe is Nap Cafe, located in Hyuga, a fairly small city in Miyazaki Prefecture. It became a fixture of my diet here when I first moved to Kadogawa town, at the recommendation of some other ALTs who had been living in the area for a few years.

I can't get enough of their bagel sandwiches and their fancy, fancy coffee drinks. The amazing owner speaks English and chats shyly with me about his friend who plays ukulele and his trips to New York City. Whenever I go, I fall in love with the place all over again.

For about two (three?) months, Nap Cafe was closed while they moved to a new smaller location. I think the owner and his wife also had a new baby, so I understand they had to take time for themselves.

But no Nap Cafe? It was torture. I had to get my coffee fix from my other favorite cute cafes in town. 

Sometimes, I even had to make coffee at home. The agony!

Luckily, I didn't have to make my own coffee for too long, because Nap Cafe just opened back up. I finally had the caramel macchiato and bagel sandwich I had dreaming of for so long. Do you know how hard it is to find a bagel in rural Japan? It's not easy. And these bagels are delicious.

It was better than I had remembered. Fermented carrots and all.

Caramel Macchiato

Vegetable Bagel and Salad Plate -- complete with fermented vegetables!

The adorable/rustic bar complete with delectable scones
Lindsay is glad to be at Nap Cafe
Oh Nap Cafe! I love you so! Thank you for supplying this hungry American with bagels and delectable caramel macchiatos for so long!

Forever grateful,
Lauren Kincaid-Filbey

No comments:

Post a Comment