Sunday, May 12, 2013

Can it be?! The End of Finals?!


Done with finals! Done with finals! Done with finals!

I feel like I should be more coherent than I am acting currently but, what the heck, I'M DONE WITH FINALS! This is cause for celebration!

It feels a little bit like I'm back in high school since I've finished all my work. The past few summer vacations I had a job or an internship lined up to keep me busy through the summer heat, but this year, I have no plans whatsoever! Yay! Exciting! But also a bit depressing.

I had an internship lined up but thanks to some really, really, REALLY bad luck, bureaucracy ended up doing some damage and everything got a little bit destroyed. So for the first time since starting college, I'm going into my summer jobless/internship-less. At first, I was totally heartbroken about it (a lot of my finals week was spent moping about and eating cereal in an oversized T-shirt) but then, when I thought about it, this is the last chance I'll have to live with my parents before I'm the post-grad who couldn't find a job. Right now, I'm just an out-of-luck student! I can work anywhere, doing anything! I can do anything! I can braid my hair, get a suntan, be a vegan! All those fun things that Californians do!

So I'm trying to be positive about it. I also have tons of customer service experience, so as long as SOMEONE SOMEWHERE needs work over summer, I think I'll be able to bring a little income in. We'll see how it goes.

I have 9 days until I'm flying home, and until then I get to do nothing but have fun Hong Kong adventures. Some of the highlights of the week include:
- Sai Kung Villages (Cliff-diving maybe?)
- Dragons' Back Hike
- Stanley Beach/Stanley Market
- Ladies' Market (last minute souvenirs!)
- Wan Chai Ladies' Night (Free drinks! In 9 days, I have to be under 21 again...)
- Lan Kwai Fong Ladies' Night (More free drinks!)
- Finishing Season 2 of Game of Thrones (DON'T JUDGE.)

I'm really excited to go home to see my family and my boyfriend and my dog and my friends and Mexican food, but these last few days are going to be incredibly bittersweet. I walked to the gym this morning and practically started crying because the walk was just SO beautiful and I'm going to miss it so much! It had just rained and all the little snails were out and I could see the ocean and everything was so nice.

It's funny, it feels as if it took my whole study abroad experience just to feel like I really belonged in Hong Kong. I now feel like I'm settled into my routine, I'm working out, eating right, making friends in the community, and just like that I have to pack everything up and move away again. It's a strange sensation. But I'm definitely not done with living abroad. Next time I'll just have to stay a bit longer I think.

I'm close to the end of this blog, and if you've been reading throughout my adventure, I really appreciate it! I'll be blogging a lot more throughout this next week since I expect to have so much free time. And if you know a good place to get a summer job, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment